Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Birth Certificate for Infinity


Contemplative glow. The lights warm the spiced pine cones and the branches of the tree standing at my window are heavy with fragrance. Cinnamon scents mingling with evergreen life and cedar curls spiraling down. I sit in a light circle of peace and a single candle flickers reflections.


Slowly I turn this puzzle. . .

When Infinity completed gestation. God - waiting nine months to grow fingernails and eyelashes and skin. And while our little earth spun steady around its' sun, the Son of God turned in the amniotic fluid of the tummy of a girl. A simple girl in an obscure corner of the planet that swarmed with uprisings and massacres. A small girl in a small country occupied by enemy forces and terrorized by guerrilla warfare.

Infinity entered our time. On a government enforced march in the unsanitary parking lot behind a local motel and convenience store. Birthed bloody and vulnerable just as each of us were. Divinity receiving the time stamp of our existence - a birth certificate into humanity. A Branch on a family tree. And how could human hands parent God? Protect this peace of transplanted heaven?

How could God think this mission was safe? No insurance for this venture into darkness. No assurance of success. It leaves me stilled in awe - this embryonic Love. Patiently growing until the fullness of time in both death and life. God - who is One - seeking oneness with humanity. With me. This Gift - the only way to restoration.


"Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God.

It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us.


And when His parting words are fulfilled, "Love one another, as I have loved you",

when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished.

We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts."

~Desire of Ages p. 641


When these words are fulfilled. . .

This is the piece for all puzzles - the truest fulfillment of our dreams. When I love the world as He has loved it, then for me His mission is accomplished. I am fitted for heaven; for I have heaven in my heart. Simplicity most intricate!

This world can be a prickly thing to love. And I still do not love it - thick with crime and dirt, hate and indifference. Yet even my apathy contributes to darkness. No life is neutral.

But His gift internalized plants the seed of Love. Steady. Softly growing, creating grace for others. Vision of hope. Seeing each person with all the dignity as family to God.


Will I let love swell to completeness - to peace? Will I choose to love the world as He loved? Will I let the heaven fill my heart?

1 comment:

Christen said...

This makes my heart happy. I love reading your words, Caitlin. Thank you.