Friday, November 18, 2011

Practical Keeping ~ Part III

Gods Promises to the Remnant

I have found Isaiah to be one of the most musical books in scripture. The lyrical quality in the passages lends itself to inspiring melodies. Some of the sweetest and most soaring music ever penned by a human hand has been taken from Gods promises to His remnant people in this book. And I believe that it is because Gods very heart is found in these verses.

In the beginning chapters of Isaiah God rebukes the cruelty, dishonesty and luxurious indulgences that were rampant among the people and calls them to a life of purity and kindness. If they accepted the cleansing, He promised to restore His presence in their hearts.

"And it shall come to pass that he who remains in Zion and he who remains in Jerusalem will be called holy - everyone who is recorded among the living in Jerusalem.
When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and by the spirit of burning,
Then the Lord will create above every dwelling place of Mount Zion, and above her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day and the shining of a flaming fire by night.
For over all the glory there will be a covering. And there will be a tabernacle for shade in the daytime from the heat, for a place of refuge, and for a shelter from the storm and rain." Isaiah 4:3-6

This reference to the journey of the children of Israel through the wilderness to Canaan is important. It represents the beautiful comforting care of God for His people through out history but especially during the final great struggle between good and evil.

If I accept His cleansing He can restore His presence in my heart. In the wilderness journey of my life the covering that God creates over me is the constant assurance of His presence. Internalizing this assurance now is the key to peace then. Gods will always sustain His people.

Isaiah is rich with promises of Gods provision and sustenance. Each promise is a gift. A new color in the intricate symphony of His presence.

Promise of Jesus
"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" Isaiah 9:6

Promise of Refuge
"For You have been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat." Isaiah 25:4

Promise of His Presence
"Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers they shall not overflow you, when you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you, for I am the Lord your God." Isaiah 43:1, 2
"I will not forget you, See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me." Isaiah 49:16

Promise of Help
"You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest regions, and said to you, You are my servant, I have chosen you and have not cast you away: Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:9, 10

Promise of Direction
"I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known, I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight, these things I will do for them and not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Promise of Peace
"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3

Promise of Holy Spirit
"Then He will give the rain for your seed with which you sow the ground, and bread of the increase of the earth."
"For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, and My blessing on your offspring." Isaiah 44:3

Promise of Life
"Your covenant with death will be annulled." Isaiah 28:18
"Thus says your Lord, the Lord and your God, Who pleads the cause of His people; See, I have taken out of your hand the cup of trembling. . . you shall no longer drink it." Isaiah 51:22
"He will swallow up death forever, and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces; the rebuke of his people he will take away from all the earth." Isaiah 25:8
"In that day the Lord binds up the bruise of His people and heals the stroke of their wound." Isaiah 30:26

Promise of Joy
"For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is His name; and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; He is called the God of the whole earth. . .
For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, but My kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall My covenant of peace be removed." Says the Lord who has mercy on you." Isaiah 54:5, 10
"As the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God will rejoice over you." Isaiah 62:5


May the joyful music of His presence fill your soul.
May His covering be your refuge
~ Always.

No comments: